A nail primer is used before a gel manicure to prime the nail. If you want your base coat to stay on your nails, you’ll need to clean off the oil and grease from them. Nail primers come in a variety of forms. Some are acid-free, while others contain acids. The most popular type of nail primer is one that is acid-free. On the other hand, you can use nail primers to create tiny cracks and fissures in your nail plates so that the acrylics and polishes can better adhere but never neglect your nail care. There are two types of primers,
1. Acid primer, 2. Acid-free primer.
Acid nail primer vs acid free nail primer
Acidic nail primer
- Acidic primer is called acidic because it’s 95% part consists of methacrylic acid.
- The acidic primer dries on the nail plate in 3-5 minutes, resulting in a whitish color.
- If an acidic primer comes into direct contact with the skin as a result of negligence, it can cause irritation and chemical burns.
- They have the ability to turn the enhancement yellow if not used correctly.
- It’s important to use extreme caution while using acid-based primers.
- Apply it sparingly. Simply dot it on the natural nail in tiny circles (using 5 nails at a time before putting brush back into bottle) until it’s dry.
- Avoid touching any surrounding soft tissue when applying primer.
- When it involves acid-based primers, less is certainly more!
Acid-free nail primer
- The most preferred and most used product for increasing adhesion of products to the natural nail plate is Acid Free Primer.
- It’s irreplaceable whether you create gel nails, acrylic nails, or gel polish manicures.
- Gel technology, in particular, requires this.
- The enhancement will not discolor or burn the skin if you use an acid-free primer.
- Use acid free primer to ensure a firm bond.
- It protects the style from air pockets and lifting the product .
- It binds the plate extremely firmly with gel polish and gel bases.
Homemade or Substitute of a Nail Primer
The simplest option for making a DIY Nail Primer and Dehydrator is to use a mix of Acetone and Isopropyl Alcohol. Because of the moisture, as well as the oil on your nails, your acrylics, gel polish, and even regular polish are unable to adhere to your nail plate.
How to use
- Apply a coat of alcohol, then one of acetone over your nails.
- Using an old but clean nail polish brush.
- To clean your hands, apply Isopropyl Alcohol to your nails.
- After the alcohol has evaporated, you may apply a coat of acetone to your nails.
- Allow the acetone to evaporate. Finally, once the acetone has fully dried, you may begin using your products.
When alcohol is used on your nails, it kills any germs that may be on the surface of your nail. On the other hand, the greasy sediments are dissolved, and the dirt & debris are subsequently removed, when acetone is applied to your fingernails,
How to apply nail primer?
Acid free primer
The first component in your manicure is always a primer. Apply an acid-free primer to each nail with a nearly dry brush, allowing it to dry for around 40-60 seconds. It’s acceptable to work on acid-free primer that hasn’t completely evaporated because it won’t fully evaporate. Only apply a base coat to the natural.
Before applying an acid primer, apply 1-2 small dots to the nail. It will then spread across the nail plate on its own as a result of this. Before applying your gel manicure with acid primer, make sure it has fully evaporated.
Nail prep dehydrator and nail primer
The Nail Prep is a Degreasing Liquid that, before applying the Nail Primer, gently dehydrates the natural nail surface using a Nail Dehydrator. This product seals the nail pores after polishing them to make them matte. It does not change the nail’s own PH and is therefore suggested for obtaining optimal results while doing a permanent nail polish service. Using it for several services in a row can help us to minimize oil formation on our nails during our job.
What is the difference between Nail primer and base coat
A primer can remove any moisture, oil, or grease from the surface of your nails. The results will be good and long-lasting if you get a manicure after all this. The purpose of a primer is to dehydrate your nails to allow your acrylics or polish to adhere better. You should use primers or dehydrators when they are truly necessary, such as when applying acrylics or when you’re prone to peel or chip.
A Base Coat is a clear polish that is used on your nails to make a gel or regular nail polish last longer. They will help your polish adhere more readily to the nail, as well as protect the nails from staining. Plasticizers in base coats enhance their flexibility and adherence to the nail. If your natural nails appear yellowish, you should invest in a good base coat that has stain-preventing qualities. Base coats protect the integrity of your nails by forming a protective layer on top of them. This protects your nails from any potentially harmful chemicals in the polish or gel you’re using.